Deadline 15th April 2021
The Government of Makueni County in collaboration with its partners is running Makueni Innovation challenge whose aim is to catalyze the growth of startups, so as to amplify and consolidate the gains of the region’s digital innovative ecosystem. The theme for this year’s event is “Economic Recovery amidst Covid-19”.
Startups from across the region (Machakos, Kitui, Kajiado, Taita Taveta and Makueni Counties) that meet the requirements can start applying for the challenge. Entries to the competition are to be submitted here https://innovations.makueni.go.ke
Requirements to compete
Applications to compete will be entered as detailed startup profiles which describe;
- The customer pain
- The startups solution
- Revenue streams
- Team composition and commitment
- Market traction
- Short-term projections and milestones among other aspects.
The overall startup profile will be used by the competition judges who will mostly be investors to score the potential of the startup to become a sustainable high growth enterprise.
The Finalists will be categorized and each category will feature five finalists who will pitch to an audience of Investors, Development Partners, Government Representatives, Operators and other key stakeholders from Kenya. The finalists will receive training and coaching on how to pitch to investors.
- The challenge will provide awards to winners for different categories, with the overall winner getting Kshs. 260,000.
- The selected finalists will get a chance to participate in the incubation program.
- The selected innovators will get opportunity to partner find ways of improving the economy amidst covid-19.
- The selected finalists will get a chance to showcase their solution to investors.
Individuals, Startup teams working on innovative solutions on economic recovery amidst Covid19 pandemic.
Application Eligibility Criteria
Open to early stage innovators-can be an individual or group from the participating regions
Currently residing or born from the mentioned regions.
Groups are encouraged to apply
- Your idea must be innovative and unique.
- Idea must clearly describe ways the project will continue beyond the challenge potential to scale.
- The idea must be realistic and logical (proof of concept).
- Idea must fall within the theme of the challenge.
The Finalists will be categorized and each category will feature five finalists who will pitch to an audience of Investors, Development Partners, Government Representatives, Operators and other key stakeholders from Kenya.
The projects will need to have clear indicators showing the impact of the project with a user perspective.
Successful projects will need to be delivered within one year. The finalists will receive training and coaching on how to pitch to investors.
Makueni Innovation Challenge 2021
The application window opens on 16th March 2021. Only online applications will be considered.
Applicants are asked to provide descriptions of their projects via the official website https://innovations.makueni.go.ke/
Applicants are encouraged to start building and curating their startup profiles early as they might need to research or source some of the information required widely.
Applicants are also required to upload a short (max 5 mins) video of the founders expressing the mission and strength of their startups/innovation on https://innovations.makueni.go.ke
For more Information: Visit : https://innovations.makueni.go.ke/applicant_portal.php